Last year I discovered the joys of sugar scrubs. They are a great exfoliant, leaving your skin soft, moisturized and bright. They make a great shaving “cream” or overall body scrub. Talk about dessert for the skin! Hand me a spoon! They are almost too easy to make, and they make fantastic gifts. My favorite to date is Chai Spice. It is as simple as opening a Chai Spice tea bag, mixing it with the sugar, adding 10 drops of cinnamon essential oil to a base oil, and stirring!
2 parts sugar, 1 part oil.
Choose your sugars.
- Regular white sugar gives a soft, gentle exfoliation. (My favorite texture, although I don’t bake with it since it is likely GMO)
- Brown sugar gives a deeper exfoliation.
- White cane sugar gives a firmer, deeper exfoliation.
- True demerara sugar (as opposed to demerara style) provides the deepest, firmest exfoliation.
Choose your oils.
Choose your additives… or not.
- Ground candy canes (run it through the blender to get small bits)
- Ground coffee beans
- Ground cinnamon
- Almond or Vanilla Extract
- Essential oils (Ex. Cinnamon)
- Loose leaf teas (think, Chai Spice with cinnamon!)
Mix your ingredients.
Mountain Rose Herbs has exceptional quality, certified organic herbs, spices,oils, essential oils and more. They maintain a strict emphasis on sustainable agriculture. I highly recommend them for outstanding quality and service.