I stopped buying those cheap, junky chocolate Easter eggs from the dollar stores a few years ago. They are probably made in China, and definitely not all natural or sustainably-sourced. When my kids get treats, I like them to be at least made with safe ingredients. Even better, from reliable sources that aren’t damaging both the natural environment and the people who are growing and processing the cocoa beans.
Last year I bought sustainably-sourced chocolate bars, broke them into squares, and wrapped them in aluminum foil. This worked fine… but was kind of boring. This year, I made my own. It turned out to be a fun, rewarding experience, and was simple enough to have the children help out!
I made several different recipes, but found these two to be the best:
- Healthy Homemade Chocolate by Wellness Mama.
- How To Make White Chocolate in Less Than 5 Minutes by Cupcake Project.
The recipe by Wellness Mama is made with sustainably-sourced cocoa butter and cocoa powder, raw honey and vanilla. Nothing more, nothing less. The recipe by Cupcake Project can also use sustainably-sourced, organic ingredients. One of the batches of chocolates I subbed 3/4 of the powdered sugar for raw honey and it turned out really well. In another batch I added a tbsp. of cashew butter to the white chocolate recipe for a nutty treat. If you can’t find organic powdered sugar you can make it yourself from this recipe from Whole New Mom using certified organic cane sugar and arrowroot powder to avoid the typical GMO sugar and GMO corn starch.
Both provided easy-to-follow instructions, used ingredients that can be sourced sustainably, and created a delicious product that I’ll be working with in the future! Think… dark chocolate with sea salt and butterscotch… white chocolate hazelnut… the possibilities are now endless! And what great gifts they would make!
If you make some, please let me know how they turned out, and if you varied the ingredients with great success! Enjoy and Happy Easter!
- From The Farm Blog Hop is LIVE! And Why Support Native Bees On Your Farm.
- Easy Homemade Marshmallows Recipe
- Local Bite Giveaway!
- Raising Pigs for Free: How to Scavenge Food For Your Pigs!
- From The Farm Blog Hop is LIVE and “How To Set Up Your First Beehive” favorite!
- Homemade Shampoo With Rye Flour: Natural Pro-V for Thick, Shiny, Healthy Hair!
- Off The Shelf: Homemade Alternatives to the Condiments and Snacks you Love.
- How to Make Whole Grain Pancake Mix From Scratch
- The Best Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce Ever!